Tuesday, June 14, 2011

"Squeaky Clean Springtime Windows"

Get up, get up, get out of bed! Don't you know it's spring? The days are so lovely; they'll make your heart sing! When spring time rolls around I love to look out my kitchen windows to see everything ""new."" However, my heart drops when I have to see it all through my dirty windows. I wanted to be able to see all the flowers and trees in bloom, the birds in the sky and everyone who comes out to walk their dog in such nice, bright weather. After a long, wet, muddy winter and with a dog who likes to jump on the windows when he wants back in the house, my windows are a nightmare. I knew just what to do! I got out my trusty steam cleaner and filled it with water. While I waited for my steamer to heat up, I started with a spray bottle of plain old tap water and a microfiber cloth on the blinds and window sills. I vacuumed all the loose dirt, dust and cob webs out of the corners and crevices.

Then, I put my diamond brush on my steamer and ran over the slats in my vinyl blinds to remove any left-over dust and greasy finger prints. With the same attachment set up, I moved to the screens. Without having to remove them from the window, I got them clean and free of allergens and dirt in seconds and the cloth was black as night! Next, I used my steam nozzle to do the inside of my window tracks. I placed a paper towel in one corner and blasted all the dirt and grime into it form the other side. I can't tell you how much I love to do this particular part of a window-cleaning job because I don't have to use an old toothbrush or cotton swabs anymore.   After the blinds, sills, screens, and tracks were all finished, I moved on to do the glass. I use my window squeegee attachment to steam away any sticky, cloudy, streaky mess using regular tap water super heated to almost three hundred degrees. With water being heated in the tank to that temperature, it is already distilled water. There are no minerals or solutions in the water to leave behind steaks you can see when the sun hits the windows.

There is another benefit to chemical-free cleaning; NO FINGERPRINTS! Normal glass cleaning products are made with petroleum, an oil-based chemical that is sticky and clings to things like dust, dirt, and other oils. That's why when you spend so much time getting the windows nice and shiny, you tell everyone to keep their hands to themselves. Using steam on your glass surfaces (not just windows, but table tops, shelves, figurines and many more glass surfaces as well) leaves no residue for contaminates to cling to so your windows stay cleaner for much, much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment