Wednesday, March 3, 2010

WITH A LITTLE TLC, LEATHER PIECES CAN LAST A LIFETIME.

If you have children, or pets who love to
jump up on your leather couch and watch TV,
your furniture and accessories may need extra
attention. Here's how I care for my leather.

First off, remember that it's a skin- so don't
over-scrub or use abrasive or caustic cleaners.
On smooth leather (not suede, which you can
spot clean gently with an artgum eraser). I use a
microfiber cloth dampened with water; this also
works for spills, which should be wiped up right
away to prevent stains. If the leather needs more
than a wipe-down, I use some baby shampoo
diluted with water. ( 1 teaspoon per quart of water).
Dip your mircrofiber cloth in the mix, wipe in circles
one way, then the other. Wet a clean microfiber
cloth with water to wipe off, and buff dry

For oily stains, I grab flour or cornstarch, cover the
area, and pat it in to absorb the oil; this may require
a few applications. Then I dust off the powder with
another microfiiber cloth, or suck it off with my vacuum.

For pen marks, there are many variables: leather type
and age, ink type , and how long the stain has been there.
Try rubbing with a cotton swab moistened with a little
shampoo and water, and see if the stain lifts. These are
trickly- you may need to call a pro.

No comments:

Post a Comment